with Bernie Mayer, Ph.D
Friday, November 9, 2018; 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
In this interactive workshop, Professor Bernie Mayer, Ph.D will work with us on
how we can deal with those elements of conflict that do not readily lend
themselves to immediate resolution and require our engagement with issues of
identity, survival, power, and culture.
Specific topics Bernie will address are:
- Beyond interests: how we can identify what people really want in conflict and how we can work with the complex range of needs people bring to the table their multiple levels of interests, identity issues, and survival concerns.
- Working with the emotional, cognitive, and behavioral dimensions of the
- Addressing polarized thinking: Working with disputants to understand their choices in a more constructive and flexible way.
- Understanding power: facing the challenge when there are significant power
differentials including bullying, harassment, and access to justice issues.
- Dealing with enduring conflict: addressing long term issues in the short term
framework of mediation.